Lots of chilies, sweet bell peppers and fresh garlic make this Fermented Hot Sauce extra spicy and super flavorful!
Minnesota is not really known for spicy food. In fact, it’s kind of embarrassing that some locals think of ketchup as a ‘hot sauce’. But, this hot sauce can be made very mild or super spicy depending on the kind of peppers you use.
Lots of sweet bell peppers, a few poblanos and you’ve got a super flavorful mild sauce. Or, swap in jalapeños, habaneros or even fiery ghost peppers and it’ll knock your socks off! Either way, the fermentation makes the sauce bright and full of flavor.
Fermented Hot Sauce
Lots of chilies, sweet bell peppers and fresh garlic make this homemade hot sauce spicy and super flavorful!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: about 3 cups
- Category: Sauce
- 2 dried guajillo chili peppers
- 2 cups chopped assorted fresh chili peppers (like jalapeño, serrano, habanero or ghost)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons coarse Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- In a medium skillet, heat the dried chilies over medium heat, turning frequently until lightly toasted; cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Combine all ingredients in a medium glass bowl and let stand for 30 minutes. Transfer to blender and puree until desired consistency.
- Pour the mixture into sterile canning jars, cover with a coffee filter or cheese cloth and secure with a rubber band or some twine. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 5 to 7 days. Seal with the jar lid and refrigerate for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 3
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 47mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
What’s your favorite thing to top with hot sauce?
Or, try my Crunchy Chile Sauce…
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribe to B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.