This seasonal and super savory Butternut Squash Crostini with Whipped Goat Cheese is the perfect holiday appetizer or party snack.
In just a few weeks, you’ll be swinging open your doors to friends and family to welcome them in for one of the biggest meals of the year, Thanksgiving! Are you ready yet? Did you order your turkey and plan your menu? We usually buck tradition and go the ‘Friends-giving’ route. It’s so much fun and makes what could be a stressful occasion into a joy filled evening with friends and delicious foods. Since we usually have several Thanksgiving celebrations to attend, our Friends-giving menu doesn’t look much like the traditional table of roast turkey with mashed potatoes and stuffing.
So, this year you should try getting a group of your best buds together and throw tradition to the wind (just for 1 out of your 3 celebrations!). Host a paella party, shrimp boil or epic pizza party. Or, try miniaturizing all of your Thanksgiving favorite flavors into bite-sized snacks perfect for happy hour?
How ever you celebrate, this time of year is also the perfect excuse to have friends over for these little crostini bites. They’re roasty-toasty, savory and totally delicious!
Butternut Squash Crostini with Whipped Goat Cheese recipe below…
- 1 medium butternut, buttercup or squash (1 lb)
- 1 loaf (20-inch) baguette French bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened (from 8 ounce package)
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Peel the squash, cut it in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds. Cut the squash into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place sliced bread on ungreased cookie sheets; lightly brush with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Bake 6 to 9 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix squash, onion and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Spread on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes; stir. Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat goat cheese, cream cheese and whipping cream with mixer on high speed until smooth. Spread goat cheese mixture on top of each baguette slice and top with squash mixture. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
What’s your favorite fall appetizer?
Or, try my Spicy Roasted Pumpkin with Honey and Feta…
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribe to B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.