This Spicy Roasted Pumpkin recipe is a quick and easy gluten-free side dish with sweet caramelized honey, feta cheese and pumpkin seeds.
Is it too early to plan for thanksgiving? It’s about a month away but I’ve already got a few things on my ‘must-make’ list and this one is at the top! I’ll actually be traveling over thanksgiving this year, but that doesn’t mean I won’t be cooking up a feast on the other side of the world to celebrate.
Roasted pumpkin, sweet potatoes and squash make the most amazing caramelized veggies. Which ever one you pick, they’re naturally sweet. Add a bit of spice, a drizzle of honey and a splash of balsamic and any squash can transform into the best crispy, savory-sweet dish you’ve had in a long time.
I’m not a big fan of pumpkin spiced lattes or pumpkin scented candles but recipes with real pumpkin, yep, bring it on! This fall, I’ve joined up with a bunch of amazing food bloggers for the Virtual Pumpkin Party where we are all sharing a delicious pumpkin recipe! You guys, I can’t even contain myself, just think of all the amazing pumpkin ideas!
For this dish, I started with a small or medium pumpkin. You should be able to find them at most grocery stores but sweet potatoes or butternut squash will make a great stand-in if you can’t find the perfect pumpkin. I’ve paired the spicy roasted pumpkin with red onion, salty crumbled feta cheese, fresh parsley and toasted pumpkin seeds. It’s vegetarian, gluten-free and my new favorite recipe!
- 2 pounds pumpkin or squash or sweet potato, quartered, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- Pinch cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, toss the pumpkin and onion with the oil, honey, vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until caramelized and fork tender, adding the pepitas in the last 5 minutes. Top with the feta cheese and parsley and serve.
What are you making with pumpkin this fall?
Need some more pumpkin inspiration? Check out the more than 100 other delicious #VirtualPumpkinParty recipes over at Twigg Studios or Cake Over Steak…
Quick Pumpkin and Kale Risotto Arancini from Cake Over Steak
Stuffing Pumpkin Bake by Twigg Studios
Or, try my Roasted Red Kuri Squash and Wild Rice Salad…
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribe to B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.