I’ve been looking for a cucumber salad that included something other than mayonnaise. I mean, really?! A perfectly good crisp and crunchy veggie, coated in goopy mayo? Meh, not for me. But, this spicy cucumber salad is perfect in every way. It’s light, tangy, spicy and keeps the cucumbers super crunchy and fresh.
Most spicy cucumber salad recipes make you cut up a thai chili or some sort of super spicy pepper that you will inevitably get in your eye somehow. I skipped that step (you’re welcome) and just used a bit of spicy garlic chili sauce. It gives a spicy kick with an added garlic flavor without all the extra work. Like it hot? Add another teaspoon of chili sauce for an extra kick.
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce or Sambal Oelek
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 English hot house cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, mix together rice vinegar, cilantro, chili garlic sauce, sugar and salt. Add in cucumber and onion and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
A few more cucumber recipes to try…
Heirloom Tomato and Cucumber Salad from Yum Sugar
Pan-Fried Cucumber with Red Perilla from Viet World Kitchen
Fresh Chickpea Salad Recipe with Lemon and Dill from Inspired Taste