I have a serious sweet tooth, and prefer chocolate treats over salty snacks any day. But, this week I can’t get enough of this pimento cheese spread. I had made it for game day, but I don’t think there will be anything left. It’s cheesy (duh), spicy and totally delicious!
I’ve messed with the classic recipe a bit and used smoked gouda, jalapeño, cayenne and smoked paprika for a bit of a smoky kick.
Serve it any way you like, by the spoonful, spread on fluffy white bread, or served with tortilla chips, crackers or veggies. Oh, and do yourself a favor, make a double batch!
Smoky Pimento Cheese
Smoky, spicy and delicious, this Pimento Cheese Spread is the perfect game day appetizer, party dip or sandwich spread.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: about 4 cups
- Category: Appetizer, Snack, Spread
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons vinegar based hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, finely chopped
- 12 ounces smoked gouda cheese, finely shredded
- 12 ounces extra sharp cheddar, finely shredded
- Serve with:
- Tortilla Chips
- Place the bell pepper on a baking sheet and roast under a hot broiler. Turn the pepper to blister all sides. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to let the pepper steam until cool enough to handle.
- Carefully peel the blackened skin off each pepper, remove and discard all the seeds and membrane; chop the roasted pepper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, mustard, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika and salt, stir to blend. Add the green onions, jalapeño, roasted bell pepper and cheeses; stir until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Tightly covered, the pimento cheese will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 133
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 242mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
Have you ever had pimento cheese before?
Can’t get enough cheese? Here are a couple other cheesy dip to try…
Sriracha Beer Queso from Oh My Veggies
Butternut Squash Goat Cheese Dip from How Sweet It Is
Pimento Cheese from Ramps Shells and Cheese
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribe to B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.