These easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Bean Burrito Bowls are quick to make, full of flavor and totally customizable. They’re just the thing for a busy week!
I’m always on the hunt for a recipe that will get me through a busy week. Coming home from a few weeks of traveling and jumping right into the holidays I’m in desperate need of something really easy! This is one of our go-to slow cooker recipes that is always a hit and super easy to customize based on what we have on hand or what’s in season.
This recipe calls for chicken breast but it’s also great with chicken thighs if that’s more your style. Feel free to mix up the type of beans too. From black beans to pinto or even chickpeas, you really can’t go wrong.
The cilantro lime rice is delicious. Actually, you might want to just double it and keep it on hand for serving with anything and everything! As for the toppers, pile on all of your favorite ingredients from cheese to avocado, shredded lettuce and of course hot sauce!
- Slowcooker Chicken and Beans
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 1/2 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Crumbled Cotija cheese
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro
- In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, stir together the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, chicken stock, chili powder, cumin salt and tomatoes. Add the chicken. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours adding the black beans and corn during last hour of cooking. When the chicken is done and the mixture is hot, remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken into large chunks and gently stir it back into the bean mixture.
- To make the rice, in a 2-quart saucepan, heat water to boiling. Add rice and salt; cover, and reduce heat to simmering. Cook 16 to 18 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is just tender. Stir cilantro, lime juice to taste and butter into cooked rice and fluff with a fork.
- Serve chicken and bean mixture in bowls with rice and desired toppings.
What’s your favorite slow cooker recipe?
In the mood for another quick slow cooker dinner? Try these…
Crockpot Sunday Sauce from Half Baked Harvest
Slow Cooker Korean Tacos from Dinner and a Love Story
Slow Cooker Chicken Pho from The Lemon Bowl
Or, check out my Slow Cooker Pork Ramen…
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribe to B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.