I’ve petered out a bit on my New Year’s resolutions and am welcoming desserts back into my life with open arms. I don’t know what I was thinking, I really do need a little bit of chocolate everyday to help me survive these Minnesota winters. Today isn’t just about chocolate though, it’s also World Nutella Day! I’ll get back on the resolution band wagon tomorrow. Maybe.
So, we all know you can grab a spoon and enjoy nutella straight from the jar, but these little treats won’t get you as many judgmental looks.
Fudgy, chocolatey inside, and crispy, crunchy outside, these flourless cakes are full of chocolate hazelnut flavor with just a splash of bourbon for good measure. They’re easy to make ahead and perfect for any occasion!
- 4 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup nutella
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease four ovenproof ramekins or custard cups (6 to 8-ounces each) and place on a baking sheet; set aside.
- Place chocolate and butter in a medium heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of gently simmering water. Stir chocolate occasionally just until melted, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in nutella, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, egg yolks and bourbon, until well blended. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat egg white and salt until soft peaks form. While beating, gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar; beat until mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Mix about 1/4 of the egg white mixture into the chocolate, until well blended. Fold in chocolate mixture with large rubber spatula. Pour into prepared ramekins.
- Bake 18 to 22 or until the tops are puffed and cracked but the insides are still soft and gooey. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar and serve, warm or at room temperature topped with ice cream.
Do you have a favorite nutella recipe?
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribe to B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.