It may be taking over your garden or filling the crisper drawer of your fridge, but zucchini is one of my (many) favorite late summer veggies.
I didn’t plant any zucchini this year but have been enjoying the local bumper crop from family, friends and the farmers’ market. It’s such a versatile veggie that can be baked, roasted or marinated. My new favorite though, is this fresh zucchini salad. When it’s sliced really thin, zucchini is fresh, crunchy and a fun alternative to salad greens.
The zucchini is piled high on the plate and topped with corn, tomatoes and avocado. A light dressing made with basil, olive oil, lemon juice and honey finishes it all off for a fresh lunch or light dinner.
The key to making the thin ribbons of zucchini is the shape of your vegetable peeler. I’ve found that the Y shaped peeler works best.Print
Fresh Zucchini Salad
This zucchini salad is topped with corn, tomatoes and fresh late summer ingredients for a light and crunchy lunch or dinner.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Category: Salad
- 2 ears of fresh sweet corn
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, cubed
- 1 tablespoon slivered fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium zucchini
- Bring a large pot filled with water to a boil over medium heat. Place the corn in the water and cover. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until the corn is tender, remove corn from water and let cool on a plate. Once the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the corn off the cob.
- In a medium bowl, place tomatoes, avocado, basil, vinegar, olive oil, honey, lime juice, salt and pepper. Toss gently to coat.
- Trim ends of zucchini; cut into thin ribbons with y-shaped vegetable peeler.
- Divide zucchini between two serving plates. Spoon the corn and avocado mixture over the zucchini and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 55mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg