I love winter. The snow, long nights, cozy clothes and hearty foods, they all make me happy. But, by the end of February, it starts to get a bit old. The snow is dirty or melted away, my wool sweater is scratchy and the hearty food is making me chubby. I’m ready to move on folks.
Bright, cheerful, seasonal citrus fruit is a colorful promise that yes, spring is coming… some day. Topped with yogurt, it’s a lightly sweetened, fresh start to the day or afternoon snack.
Plain yogurt topped with a drizzle of honey, a sprinkling of pistachios and a dusting of cardamom helps to balances out the tart, bittersweet flavor of the grapefruit. Serve it on the side or dolloped right on top.
Broiling the fruit makes them even more juicy and tender. Run a small, sharp pairing knife around each of the sections before serving to make it easier to scoop the fruit from the rind.
- 1 grapefruit, halved
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- Pinch ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar or raw sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped roasted, salted pistachios
- Heat the oven to broil and adjust the oven rack close to the oven heat source (about 4-6 inches away).
- Place grapefruit halves, cut side up on a parchment lined baking sheet. In a small bowl, stir together the seeds from the vanilla bean, cardamon and brown sugar until well blended.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the grapefruit. Watching closely, broil 5 to 7 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved and the grapefruit is slightly browned. Cool a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with a big dollop of yogurt, a drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of pistachios.
What’s your go-to grapefruit recipe?
Here are a few other ideas…
Angel Food Layer Cake with Whipped Coconut Cream and Grapefruit Syrup from How Sweet It Is
10 Things to do with Grapefruit from The Kitchn
Pink Grapefruit with Honey Mint Syrup from Cookin’ Canuck
Or, try my Almond, Blueberry and Grapefruit Salad...
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribeto B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.