This colorful, fruity Bourbon and Honey Blackberry Lime Mint Julep packs a punch and will keep you sipping pretty all summer long!
Grab your giant hat folks, it’s that time of year again. We’re celebrating the Kentucky Derby next weekend and need just the right boozy bourbon and mint cocktail to kick off the season.
This colorful, frosty cocktail is spiked with bourbon and sweetened with honey and tart fresh fruit. Like most mint julep’s, this one packs a punch but the sweet syrup helps to balance everything out.
The vibrant colored syrup is a great fresh burst of flavor and can be added to sparkling water for a non-alcoholic sipper or add a splash to gin for a fruity gin and tonic. If you don’t have crushed ice on hand, mix the ingredients and a handful of ice in a blender and blend until smooth and perfectly frosty.
- Blackberry-Lime Honey Syrup
- 1 lime
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- Mint Julep Cocktail
- 2 large fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 ounce Blackberry-Lime Honey Syrup
- 2 1/2 ounces bourbon
- Crushed ice
- Sprig of mint and fresh blackberries, for garnish
- To make the Blackberry-Lime Honey Syrup, use a vegetable peeler to remove strips of lime peel (green part only) from the lime; add the peel and the juice from the lime to a 1-quart saucepan. Add the blackberries honey and water. Heat about 2 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring constantly using the back of a spoon to smash the blackberries. Cook until the honey is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and set aside 1 hour to cool. Strain the syrup into a glass jar; discard solids. Cover the jar; refrigerate until ready to use. Makes about 3/4 cup.
- To make the cocktail, gently muddle the mint leaves in the bottom of the glass. Add the Blackberry-Lime Honey Syrup, bourbon and some crushed ice; stir to chill the cocktail. Add more crushed ice and garnish with a sprig of mint and a fresh blackberry.
What’s your spring cocktail of choice?
Or, check out the original Bourbon and Honey Mint Julep…
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribe to B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.