It’s official! Giant salads are my favorite lunch for 2016. I know it has only just begun but wow, we’re on a roll!
When it comes to a really good main dish salad, it’s all about the toppings. Crunchy, crispy, sweet, tart, nutty or cheesy, the toppings can really make or break a salad. I almost always go for a pairing of fruit, nuts and cheese. It gives the salad a bit of bulk and a ton of flavor. Throw in a few more ingredients for good measure and you’ve got yourself a delicious meal!
This is a super classic salad that my mom used to make when we were kids. I hated the blue cheese and would always pick it out, setting it on a napkin with a funny face. But now I love the pungent bite, paired with the crispy sweet-tart apple and smoky bacon. Still not a fan of blue cheese? Go for a more mild Gorgonzola, feta or even goat cheese.
The dressing can be made a few days ahead and stored in the fridge. It’s a pretty simple dressing but the bright tang of the mustard and shallot is strong enough to hold up to the bold flavors already in the salad.
Apple, Bacon and Blue Cheese Salad
This chopped bacon and blue cheese salad is packed with fresh apples, crumbled blue cheese, crispy bacon topped with a dijon vinaigrette.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Dijon Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Apple, Bacon and Blue Cheese Salad
- 6 cups baby spinach or mixed greens
- 1 large tart red apple, halved, cored and thinly sliced (pink lady or honey crisp)
- 2 ounces blue cheese or Gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 4 slices crispy cooked thick cut bacon, chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette dressing ingredients, set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the spinach with a bit of the dressing. Add the sliced apple, blue cheese, walnuts and bacon. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.
What’s your favorite salad recipe?
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribe to B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.