Sweet potatoes and red Thai curry make this Slow Cooker Butter Chicken recipe with cauliflower rice is irresistible, quick and easy to make.
Wowzer! Did you guys see all the snow that piled up this weekend on the East coast? Is it possible to have snow storm envy? Well, I do! Minne-snow-ta is a little light on the snow these days and winter is so much more fun with snow days!
With this cold (and sadly snow-free) weather, I’ve been craving a big bowl of Indian food. I’ve been making this recipe for slow cooker butter chicken for a few months now and it’s always a hit. The ingredient list might be long but the actual prep time is really pretty quick.
Red Thai curry, lots of ginger, garlic and garam masala give this dish tons of flavor. The coconut milk makes it creamy and delicious and the sweet potato keeps it filling. Serve it with regular white rice or cauliflower rice for an easy weeknight meal.
- Butter Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size chunks
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 3⁄4-inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (Whole 30-er's, use clarified butter)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon red Thai curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all butter chicken ingredients to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours, until potatoes are tender and chicken is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, cut the cauliflower in half and remove and discard the leaves. Cut the cauliflower florets from the core. Working in batches, place half the cauliflower into the bowl of a food processor and process until only small pieces remain. Remove from the processor and set aside. Process the remaining cauliflower.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the cauliflower and garlic and cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower rice is tender and slightly golden brown. Stir in the cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper, cilantro and lime juice. Serve chicken over cauliflower rice with additional cilantro and a lime wedge.
What’s your favorite slow cooker creation?
Keep on (slow) cookin’….
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken from Simply Recipes
Crockpot Italian Chicken and Broccoli Rabe Chili from Half Baked Harvest
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup from Gimme Some Oven
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribe to B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.