Yep, the rhubarb recipes just keep a coming! Since the weekend is creeping right around the corner, I wanted to make you a fruity, sweet-tart boozy drink to make this steamy summer weekend more enjoyable!
The rhubarb simple syrup is a staple in our house over the summer when rhubarb is available. I usually make a big batch of it and drizzle the pretty pink liquid into sparkling water during the week or champagne at brunch on the weekends. Seriously kids, double the simple syrup, you’ll thank me later!
The lime adds a fresh brightness to the cocktail but feel free to swap in a more traditional orange slice. If you’re serving a crowd this weekend, shake up and strain a big batch then pour it over ice when ready to serve.
- Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 stalks rhubarb, chopped
- Old Fashion Cocktail
- 3 ounces bourbon whiskey
- 3/4 ounce Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- 2 dashes bitters
- 1 lime slice
- 1 small stalk rhubarb, thinly sliced
- To Make The Rhubarb Simple Syrup: In a 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar, water and rhubarb. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; set aside to cool, about 1 hour.
- Strain the syrup with a fine mesh strainer; discard solids. Pour the syrup into a glass jar. Cover the jar and refrigerate until needed. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.
- To make the cocktail: In a mixing glass with the bourbon, simple syrup and bitter, muddle the lime slice. Strain into a glass filled with ice. Garnish with rhubarb and fresh lime.
Do you have a favorite summer cocktail?
Or, try my Rhubarb Gimlet…
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribe to B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.