Peeling and chopping garlic can be time consuming and oddly sticky business. As a house of serious garlic lovers, I’m all for a shortcut and this light, whipped, mayo-like sauce is my new go-to form of garlic.
Toum is a traditional Lebanese whipped garlic sauce often served with falafel, grilled chicken, fish or veggies. But, don’t stop there! For quick flavor spread it on a sandwich, stir it into soups, whisk it into salad dressings or smear it on toast for instant garlic bread.
This bold garlic mixture is showing up on grocery store shelves for a serious premium. While I’m all for supporting your local grocery store, I can’t justify $10 for a tiny container of whipped garlic when it’s this easy (and cheap!) to make a huge batch at home in a food processor. This recipe makes a little more than 4 cups of garlic goodness, so pack it up and share it with friends.
Depending on the time of year, garlic can have more of a bite to it. If your sauce is too strong, continue adding a bit more oil and lemon juice until you’ve reached your desired flavor. It’ll also mellow a bit in the fridge as it sits for a day or two.
- 1 cup garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups neutral oil (grapeseed, canola or vegetable)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Place garlic cloves and salt in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth. Stopping occasionally to scrap down the sides of the bowl.
- With the food processor running, slowly drizzle 1/2 cup of the oil into the bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice. Repeat the slow addition of the oil and lemon juice with the processor running for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture is white, thick and fluffy like mayonnaise.
- Store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 1 month. Stir into chili, marinate chicken or spread a thin layer on a sandwich.
What is your favorite thing to put garlic sauce on?
Or, try this Spicy Feta Dip from Bourbon and Honey….
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribe to B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.
Please note that some of the links on this page are affiliate links. I only link to products I trust and recommend. Thank you for your support.