Grilled cheese isn’t just the most amazing sandwich, it’s also a great appetizer. Not sandwiched between slices of bread, but a big chunk of hot melty cheese with all the fixin’s! Bonus, you don’t even have to turn on the oven!
Assemble this dish up to 2 hours ahead and put it on the grill when your company arrives. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, don’t worry, just wrap everything up in a heavy-duty foil packet and grill over indirect heat for about 20 minutes.Print
Grilled Feta Cheese with Olives and Tomatoes
Hot and melty, this grilled feta cheese is topped with olives, tomatoes and peppers for a quick and easy appetizer.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pitted kalamata olives, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon za’atar seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 block feta cheese (8 ounces)
- Pita wedges, for serving
- In a medium bowl, gently stir together all marinade ingredients add the feta cheese, refrigerate for at least 1 hour, turning once. Carefully remove the cheese and set aside. Stir the bell pepper, tomatoes, shallots and olives into the marinade. Spoon into a medium cast iron skillet. Top with the Cheese and press gently to nestle the cheese into the veggie mixture. Cover lightly with foil.
- Heat grill. Place the skillet on the grill over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, move to indirect heat and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until hot and melty. Top with fresh parsley and za’atar seasoning if desired. Serve with fresh pita wedges.
Not grilling season? Bake at 375°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until hot and melty.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 330mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
Looking for more grilled cheese? Here ya go…
Grilled Soft Cheese with Honey and Fig from Not Without Salt
Halloumi and Watermelon Bites from The Curvy Carrot
Grilled Peppers with Cream Cheese from Skinny Taste