I love breakfast! A flaky pastry with coffee, a big bowl of fruit, cereal and yogurt, or a pile of oatmeal with all the fixings. How ever you start your morning, it better be delicious!
These are hearty coconut breakfast bowls, I’ve made them for the last week or so and just can’t get enough! They’re a filling way to start the day off right. This time around though, I used kumquats because they’re super cute and fresh little pops of citrus flavor. They aren’t in season for very long so feel free to replace them with raspberries, blueberries, chopped mango, bananas or any fresh fruit.
For good measure, throw some chia seeds into the quinoa. They’ll plump up and make the quinoa bowl even more delicious! It’s all topped with dark chocolate, toasted coconut and chopped pistachios for a crunchy, satisfying meal. These tasty bowls are a great alternative to oatmeal for breakfast, especially for a lazy weekend brunch.
Coconut Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
Hearty breakfast bowls, made with coconut milk quinoa and topped with fresh fruit, dark chocolate, coconut and pistachios.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 - 3 Servings
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 oz) lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, pod and seeds
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup cut up fresh fruit (I used Kumquats)
- 2 tablespoons chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- Place quinoa in a 2 quart saucepan on medium-low heat. Toast lightly until dry and a shade darker, about 3 minutes. Increase to medium-high heat, add 1 1/2 cups of the coconut milk and the vanilla seeds.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat, remove and discard the vanilla bean pod. Stir in chia seeds and 1/4 cup of the remaining coconut milk.
- To serve, spoon the hot quinoa into bowls. Top with fruit, dark chocolate, coconut flakes, pistachios and the remaining coconut milk.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 479
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 78mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 60g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 13g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
What’s your favorite lazy brunch meal?