Get out your oversized floppy hat! That’s right folks, the Kentucky Derby is coming up. Did you know they have an official cocktail and it’s made with bourbon?! I’m always up for bourbon, all the better if it’s sipped while enjoying a festive spring event.
This drink is refreshing, slightly sweet and packs a punch. It’s a fresh twist on a mint julep with a touch of honey to make it even better.
- Honey-Mint Syrup
- 5 large fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- Mint Julep
- 2 large fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 ounce Mint-Honey Syrup
- 2 1/2 ounces bourbon
- Crushed ice
- Sprig of mint, for garnish
- To make the Honey-Mint Syrup, in 1-quart saucepan, mix honey and water. Heat about 2 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until honey is dissolved. Remove from heat; add the mint and set aside 1 hour to cool. Remove the mint, pour syrup into glass jar. Cover jar; refrigerate until ready to use. Makes about 1/2 cup.
- Gently muddle the mint leaves in the bottom of the glass. Add the Honey-Mint syrup, bourbon and some crushed ice; stir to chill the cocktail. Add more crushed ice and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Do you have a favorite derby drink?