I spent a month in Thailand as a young college kid learning about the food culture across the country. It was an absolutely amazing experience, but the thing that I enjoyed the most was the food. Spicy, fruity, fishy, complex and oh-so-different from what I was used to with my Midwestern upbringing.
This simple bowl is similar to something I enjoyed during my visit and it instantly brings me back to that warm Tropical climate with each bite. The rich purple-black rice topped with fresh mango and a swirl of lightly sweetened coconut milk… yum! It’s perfect for breakfast, a snack or even dessert.
You can find this pretty black rice at most specialty grocery stores or Asian markets. There is a chewy Chinese version, called forbidden rice or a Thai version called black sticky (or glutinous) rice. Both will work but they have pretty different textures, go with whatever you prefer.
Black Rice Pudding with Coconut and Mango
Warm, comforting and delicious, this black rice with fruit is perfect for breakfast, a snack or even dessert!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 cup uncooked black rice
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 /2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped (or 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan heat the coconut milk, sugar and the seeds from the vanilla bean over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Spoon the rice into a bowl, top with sweetened coconut milk, mango and coconut flakes; serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 23g
- Sodium: 17mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Do you have a favorite Thai recipe?
Like what you see – or have a question, feedback, or recipe idea to share? Join the convo by commenting below and be sure to subscribe to B&H emails so you don’t miss a thing! If you make this, share it! Tag your photo with #BourbonandHoney on Instagram.