Is it the weekend already? Yikes, it’s been another crazy week. This time last Friday, I was packing flip-flops and sunscreen and heading to Miami. Now? It’s a chilly 10 degrees and I’m bundled up dreaming of sandy beaches but seeing dirty snow drifts instead. Argh, its times like these when I wonder why I live in the Midwest!
So, to beat off the winter blues, I’ve made you delicious salad with bright fresh flavors. You’re going to love it!
It’s a hearty salad is topped with roasted beets, feta cheese, spiced walnuts and a light and flavorful dressing. Add grilled chicken if you want to make a meal out of it. The beets, dressing and walnuts can all be made up to 2 days ahead, just throw it all together right before serving, perfect for a stress free dinner party or even an easy weeknight meal.Print
Beet Salad with Feta and Spiced Walnuts
A hearty beet salad topped with feta cheese, spiced walnuts and a light, flavorful dressing.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Category: Salad
- 4 medium beets, trimmed and scrubbed (I used both red and golden)
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Spiced Walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F. Wrap beets in a layer of foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, turning once or until fork tender. Set aside, until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Peel skin off of beets and cut into bite-sized pieces; set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat butter, water and honey over medium heat until dissolved. Add walnuts; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and cayenne. Cook and stir continually until the walnuts are fully coated and lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine all of the dressing ingredients. Make sure the lid is on tight and shake until well blended. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Divide spinach, beets, cheese, green onions and walnuts between 4 plates and drizzle with dressing and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 407
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 403mg
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
What do ya think about beets? Love ’em? Hate ’em?
Here are a few more tasty salads for ya…
Winter Salad with Maple Candied Walnuts and Balsamic Fig Dressing from Half Baked Harvest
Orange and Pomegranate Salad from Brooklyn Supper
Roasted Cauliflower, Beet, and Farro Salad from Joy the Baker